Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 2: A Lost Tag, A Bat, & Some Scars


Hi Everyone!

Fun fact for you: time doesn't actually exist here in the MTC. I've officially been here for two weeks and yet it feels like way longer than that and no time at all, all at the same time. It is seriously the weirdest thing ever. We were talking in our room the other night about how it seems like we've all known each other for forever; there is just something about the MTC and being thrown into this crazy experience together that forms some crazy strong bonds. 


So this week was the week of packages! Haha thank you all for the birthday stuff; I now have way more candy and treats than I'll ever be able to deal with. Since I've moved and the mail is a little behind I've gotten birthday treats for almost a week straight. It's been awesome! The other Hermanas and I had a little birthday party with the stuff you sent Mom and it was the best thing ever. :)

Some things that happened this week: an elder took my tag after gym (while we're in the gym we put our tags in this cubby thing) and left his behind. I don't understand how he confused my tag with his since he is an elder with a last name that starts with an 'A' and is definitely not speaking Spanish....Elders.... So I had to wear my spare tag for the afternoon which made me sad (that would be the picture of my frowning).On the plus side he eventually realized that he is in fact not Hermana Wilson, turned it in, and I got it back.


Hermana Rhondeau and I and some of the elders in our district got to go to the Consulate this week! (I think that means I'll get my visa on time, but I'm not really sure.) Despite that fact that it rained all day and we had to wait almost an hour for a train, it was really nice to get out of the MTC for a little while. It was also the first time I've been out in public wearing my tag and that was pretty exciting.



Not as fun, two of the elders in my district got food poisoning this week, it shouldn't have been funny but it really was. I actually ate the same thing they did (smoked salmon chowder...maybe not the best decision to eat that) but my stomach of steel saved me. ;)




So the sister of one of my zone leaders sent him a bat in a bag that said "Don't go batty in the MTC" (I think I sent a picture of it). It was a real, formerly live, stinky bat. Kind of gross, but yet awesome and hilarious. For the record, I don't want anyone to send me a bat. 

Speaking of going batty, I now understand better why people go stir crazy at the MTC. Like I told you last week, we moved from West Campus up to the Main Campus, and now we have 0 space. It can be easy (really easy) to feel trapped when you spend 10+ hours in the same 15x12 classroom. #MainCampusProbs. On the plus side, there are way more food options and every time I see a tag in some crazy language I am reminded how lucky I am to be learning Spanish! And everything is closer together so we don't have to walk as far in the cold.

And it is so COLD now. I think Provo decided to skip fall completely which is really sad because I love fall. Oh well, I'll be plenty warm soon enough. :) 

We had our first district leave from our zone this week, and our first new district come in. It is incredible to see how much people change in such a short time here. Seeing the new district also reminds me of how far I've come in these two short weeks. Thinking about all the things I have to accomplish learn right now can be overwhelming, and I am completely aware that it is completely impossible for me to do the things that are expected of me if I try to do it myself. But the best part about being a missionary is that if you are worthy and working hard, you never have to do anything by yourself. We have divine help at every turn. It is the most amazing thing. One of my maestros played a video for us on Missionary Work and the Atonement (it might be on youtube, if you can find it, look it up), it was so incredible. It talked about how missionary work can be difficult and heart-wrenching but that the Atonement will carry us through every struggle, rejection, trial, and hard time. And that we may stand tall knowing that we stand shoulder to shoulder with the best missionary of all time, even Jesus Christ. The video talked about how we cannot convincingly teach about the Atonement if we have not experienced some small fraction of the pain Christ felt, and that we should never be afraid of scars from faithful service. 


As I've been here, I've been humbled a lot. We just taught a lesson to a man who is from Ecuador and speaks the fastest Spanish I've ever heard. I could barely understand anything he was saying, but then I stopped trying to do it by myself, and then it got better. As I focused on the Spirit I could understand what he was saying and actually have a conversation about the gospel with him. It is incredible how far I've come and how much I've learned since I've been here, but I know I could never have done it by myself. There is no way. It would have been impossible. But somehow I'm doing it, and I really love it here. 

I love you all, I love this gospel, and I LOVE being a missionary.


Vale la pena,

Hermana Wilson



No comments:

Post a Comment